The primary land use within Morrison County is agricultural land use. To provide for the animal agriculture in the County, Morrison County provides Agricultural Zoning designations for agricultural activities.
Morrison County ranks high in poultry, milk and livestock production within the State. The sites are feedlots, by definition, and are governed by Minnesota Rule Chapter 7020. Feedlots in the County are to be registered with the Land Services Office at least once in a four year period. A feedlot that expands beyond 300 animal units is permitted by Conditional Use. Each time a tier is exceeded a new Conditional Use Permit is required.
For more information and forms related to feedlots, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has created a web page titled Feedlots.
What is a feedlot?
A feedlot is an open lot or building intended for feeding, breeding, raising or holding animals where manure may accumulate and no vegetative cover can be maintained. Manure storage structures are considered part of a feedlot, but pasture areas where vegetative cover is established are not considered feedlot for the purposes of MN Rule 7020.
- Feedlot Registration Fact Sheet
- Online Feedlot Registration for creating an account
- Feedlot Registration Form
In general, animals are allowed on a property depending upon the number of acres, setbacks and the zoning district. New feedlots are only allowed in the Agricultural Zoning districts. The number of animal units allowed in Residential, Rural Residential and Agricultural zoning districts is limited based on the number of acres owned.
Morrison County requires reciprocal setbacks for new or expanding feedlots from non-feedlot residences. The setback measurement is taken from the closest point of the feedlot to the closest point of the house or attached garage of the non-feedlot residence. The setback only addresses the house and attached garage and not any accessory structures or septic systems.
Manure Storage Requirements for Morrison County
Recent 5 Year Reporting
- 2021 Financial Report (PDF)
- 2021 Feedlot Officer Annual Report (PDF)
- 2020 Financial Report (PDF)
- 2020 Feedlot Officer Annual Report (PDF)
- 2019 Financial Report (PDF)
- 2019 Feedlot Officer Annual Report (PDF)
- 2018 Feedlot Officer Annual Report (PDF)
- 2018 Financial Report (PDF)
- 2017 Feedlot Officer Annual Report (PDF)
- 2016 Feedlot Officer Annual Report (PDF)
- 2016 Financial Report (PDF)
- 2015 Feedlot Officer Annual Report (PDF)