Changing a Child Support Order

  • The court sets child support obligations based on family circumstances and information from both parents.
  • Child support orders can be changed or modified only by a court order or by cost-of-living adjustments.
  • You may be eligible to have your order modified if your income, expenses, child care, medical coverage, or other circumstances change.
  • Child care support can be changed if one parent tells the county child support worker that child care has started or stopped.
  • For possible assistance with filing motions, you may contact Lynn Nesland at the Mahube-Otwa Father’s Resource Program, 218-632-3600.
  • For more information and answers to frequently asked questions, read Changing Your Minnesota Child Support Order.
  1. possible changes for a review
  2. obligations do not stop
  3. You Must Show
  4. how to request a review
  • The court may change a child support order if any of the following occurs:
    • There is a substantial increase or decrease in either parent's income, including a job loss.
    • There is a substantial increase or decrease in the needs of a parent or the child.
    • One parent or the child receives public assistance.
    • There is a change in the cost of living for either parent.
    • There are extraordinary medical expenses for the child.
    • There is a change in the availability of health care coverage for the child or a substantial increase or decrease in health care coverage costs.
    • There is a substantial change in work-related or education-related child care expenses of the parent hwo is ordered to pay support.
    • The child is emancipated.